The Society for Arab Music Research (SAMR) invites members to submit abstracts to be selected for potential sponsorship for the SEM 63rd Annual Meeting on November 15-18, 2018 in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
General Call for Abstracts:
We seek papers, panels, and proposed roundtables that engage with topics of interest to the study of Arab Music:
- Topics that address the performance, perception, interpretation, and dissemination of Arab music and sound
- Ethnographic analyses of Arab musical lifeways and experiences
- Performance of Arab musical identities in popular culture including film, television, theater, and the media
- Explorations into the political axes of Arab musical phenomenon
- Arab music aesthetics, theory, and experience
- Musical advocacy among Arab populations and throughout the Arabic speaking world
SAMR welcomes individual paper submissions, panel ideas, or proposed roundtables that draw on ethnographic and/or theoretical research within one or more of these fields. We are particularly interested in hearing from those who are thinking about how Arab music research advances contemporary ethnomusicological practice.
Please submit abstracts of 200-250 words by January 26 to email@example.com. Applicants will be notified of potential sponsorship by February 9. Formal sponsorship from an SEM special interest group or section does not impact (positively or negatively) the decisions of the program committee.